The Egyptian Museum in Cairo is turning back the clock. On 15 December, it is due to launch an “initiation zone” in the east wing of its Tutankhamun Gallery, where four halls have been returned to the condition in which they appeared when the museum opened in 1902.
Restoration work has been done on the floors, ceiling skylight—which was previously covered, restricting natural light—and the walls, which have been repainted in their original colours of red, pistachio green and beige. As much as possible, the project team has removed any additions to the building that altered the French architect Marcel Dourgnon’s overall vision for the museum.
The new “initiation zone”, part of the Revival of the Egyptian Museum Initiative started in 2012, will also serve as an example to visitors of the team’s plans for the rest of the museum building. Not only will the decorations be restored, but exhibition halls that are currently partitioned to create storage space will be returned to full use. By November 2016, the entire Tutankhamun Gallery will have been “revived”.